Monday, August 20, 2012

Groundhog Day(s)


To say I've been in a lull as of late would be a major understatement. It started before the W101 and I still haven't shaken it. It's part auto-immune disease and part mental burn out. I haven't been right since the 101. Easy rides have been the only things I have been able to muster in between work, couch time and sick days and I'm beginning to worry. So much so that I'm starting to lose confidence that the SM100 is going to happen. I was able to get out over the weekend and break a sweat. It's a step forward, but I still have some doubt.


I've also come to the realization over these past few weeks that my fun button is in disrepair. The bike has not really represented a good time for me as of late. I decided to try and have 'fun' and ride the rocky, technical trails at Skyline Drive that I used to love and that used to make me smile. It took about a half hour of going through the motions. After being knocked around, hitting my cranks and nearly catapulting myself from my bike on a few occasions, nearly losing an appendage, cursing at rocks and trees, my fun button and smile was fully functional again.


In other news, our groundhog relocation program is up and running. It was no big deal they were in the yard at first. The babies were cute and we watched them frolic in the yard. Then they grew up and started making condos on the hill and a commune under the shed. Hewitt Howard was the first one caught on Saturday and he was relocated a mile or so away. Which I've since learned is not far enough. Upper Greenwood Lake Gail was next. Of course, she decided to wander into the trap while I was out on a road ride. I came home and there she was. Imprisoned because she could not resist the temptation of a delectable piece of honeydew. She was relocated to prime real estate with a wooded lot, rock features and a stream. How many more are there? I'd say 4 more at least. Another family is probably going to move in once they're gone, anyway. I'm sure they're watching from afar and enjoying the show until they can get their claws into the property. Kind of like checking the obituaries to see if someone has passed away in a high demand neighborhood/building in the city. I'm sure this will be an ongoing program. We also have Gigantor the Skunk who likes to roam the yard at night. I'm serious. He's huge. He can do whatever he wants far as I'm concerned. The trap is not set at night because there is no way I'm getting close enough to relocate a damn skunk. I have my limits.

Pretty much that's been my excitement. I'm pretty boring these days. Yesterday, there was a Matlock marathon on. That's right. I DVRed it. I love me some Matlock. I have the television habits of an 80-year old. Can't wait to make my tea tonight, put on my pjs and finish up some work while watching Ben work his magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment