Sunday, August 26, 2012

LARP Block



LARPers Point

I headed to one of my favorite local haunts for a ride on Saturday and I climbed to the top of Castle Hill Point. I always get to the top, ride through the 'castle', drop down an old stair case and ride back out. Being that it was Saturday, I expected to see people.  It's a hiking hot spot and there is a really pretty overlook. However, I did not expect my company to be dressed in Renaissance garb, carrying swords and an array of weapons. I think I even saw a wench of some sort. As I was weaving around and through the old structure I heard chatter and activity, I saw a man jump off of an old stairway landing into what probably was probably the cellar at one time and scream, "JAHILL! I will avenge you! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" There was commotion and some other war chant and I was confused, alarmed, impressed he didn't twist an ankle on the drop and intrigued all at the same time. Before I knew it, I had turned and I was right smack dab in the middle of about 8+ LARPers (Live Action Role Play for those of you not in the know). Action stopped. SILENCE. They looked at me. I at them. I felt their disapproving stares. I stared at their costumes and tried to take it all in in a matter of seconds. They were not happy to see me. I was ready for them to scream, "INTRUDER!" and attack me. They didn't. It would have made my ride that much more interesting. I just nodded and pedaled off.

Found this on the web. Similar, but my LARPers costumes had a lot more detail

I've been told (I have some friends in the LARP know or who "have a friend"...yeah, right) that it's very secretive so I'm always surprised when I see them, especially in a higher traffic area. I pedaled out and back down the hill. A lady was hiking up with two BIG dogs. I told her that they were in there. I heard the F-bomb under her breathe, she muttered something about them being in there again and wrangled her bigger dog who she said tries to eat them. Yeah, he probably thinks she's under attack.

After a while, I climbed back up and they were gone. I began thinking about them and smiled because they probably thought the sweaty, panting lady in spandex was just as odd as I thought they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment