Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wilderness 101

I would first like to start by reporting that there was no crying. With the added climbing and singletrack this year, there was a good possibility of crying. I didn't even have my normal "6 hour serial killer" mood where afterwards I always feel bad for all of those who came into contact with me during this time. Last year, I had one of my most miserable experiences on the bike at the 101. I actually came away with a smile this time. I felt pretty decent the whole day, which was a new experience. Yes, there were climbs that really hurt and some flats were unpleasant because of the singlespeed thing, but I survived.

Earlier in the day I had decided and made it my mission to conquer one of the climbs that caused me to come undone last year: Stillhouse. I didn't know what it was called last year. This year I actually looked at the map and got the name. Then after the race I did a web search out of morbid curiosity. Let's just say I'm not the only one who has come undone on this climb. It wouldn't be a bad climb if it came earlier in the race. However, it comes at around the 77 mile mark. I decided I was not going to put a foot down on that douchey climb this year. Aid Station #4 is under an overpass right before it begins. I stopped and switched my bottles. I also had caught up to a teammate and a friend and that put a little pep in my step. I kinda flew under the radar at the aid station. They took off and I followed closely behind. You leave the aid station and turn right into the horror show. Just as I had remembered it: a meandering line up a rocky-ish and sweaty doubletrack. Last year, I actually made one of the turns (on foot), saw it climbed more and stood for what seemed like forever hunched over my bike in full on tears and break down mode. I am not a crier, so this was new to me. I remember it raining really hard at this point and not being able to stop crying. This year I was not walking. NOT WALKING I SAY!!! I stood a little, sat a few pedal strokes and stood some more. Mostly, I did a whole lot of standing. I passed my teammate and my friend at the beginning and that helped mojo wise. There was no way I was putting a foot down now. I grunted it out. I made it to the top where it kinda flattened out and I knew I had made it and I had what I like to call a "Fuck Yeah" moment. At that point I decided I need more "Fuck Yeah" moments in my life. I don't have nearly enough. They are good for the soul.


 After that I giggled and spun like a maniac because I knew the two hooligans behind me would do everything in their power to catch me on the downhills and flats. My least favorite part of the day came when it was time to descend Panther Run. Last year, I actually had to stop around three times to shake out my hands and give my elbows a rest because they hurt so bad. This year they hurt, they really hurt...but I didn't allow myself to stop. I knew JS was coming for me on his fully. I went through the final aid station and made it to Fisherman's which is a lovely hike-a-bike section. This year more hike-a-bike was added. I heard someone behind me, I glanced over my shoulder and saw an orange helmet. Shit! I trotted and slid around in the ankle buster boulder field and finally made it out to the flat, rail trail section towards the finish. Doomed. Doomed! I spun my ass of and was going nowhere. I had to pee so bad for the past hour so I could hardly sit on the saddle. I glanced behind me and saw that damn orange helmet again. About 4 minutes later he flew past me with a cadence of about 40 and I think I may have heard a snicker and then,"If you had gears you could jump on....". Bah. Well, no reason not to not stop and pee now. It had gotten that bad. I was about to throw up. I couldn't even make it the ~1.5 miles to the finish without stopping. After sweet relief came I continued to pedal and could see the campground. I pedaled through the campground and into the finish. Yay!!!!! I can honestly say I was in good spirits the whole day. I started with a smile, had a smile in the middle and finished with a smile. Not something I can always say about hundreds.

I think 8 Toasted Head team members represented at the 101. That was pretty cool to have that many people there. Now I'm rethinking this month. Hampshire 100 or Shen? Hmmmmm. Hampshire 100 would be a new course. New is good.I'd better be making up my mind soon. I'll see what the body has to say at the end of this week and make a decision. Right now it's not too happy and it still hurts to brush my hair so the thought of another hundred in less than three weeks seems like not such a good idea. However, I have a little experience now and I realize how quickly the tide does turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment