Monday, July 15, 2013

Road Kill


My old and cantankerous Litespeed, "Vito the Guido", and I attempted a road TT. I had some issues. Mostly some mental and shifting issues. Let's also add that I had no idea what I was doing. Mike went off early, so I was left to my own devices (which can be questionable at times). I got a lecture before his start not to screw around and miss my start. Me? Screw around? Never. I observed the other riders closely and followed their leads(minus the trainer warm-ups and incessant bike and saddle wipe downs because of the rain. So much to say about that last one.It's raining- your ass is going to get wet. But what do I know?). The shifting issues were do to me being in panic mode and also maybe a little to do with the fact the bike hasn't had a damn thing done to it since we bought it used on EBay about 4 years ago. I'm mostly traumatized because because I almost slipped out on road kill. The official at the start actually warned us about the "unusual amount of road kill". What dumb ass hits road kill? Long story short, I was going right, it was splattered all over the road. I did not react in time and I hit a chunk of carcass and I started to slip out. I over corrected and ended up thwacking my left foot against the road to push myself upright. My pedal hit and it hurt. It felt like a jolt of electricity going up my left side.I got myself together and remained upright the rest of the trip. My thoughts during this whole calamity? Please don't splatter up on my bike and body and bottle. I will surely vomit. Close your mouth.

I actually enjoyed the experience (minus the near death experience by road kill). It was short, sweet and to the point and we were home at 11:00 am. I probably could have been a second or two faster if I could have kept my mouth shut. I'm sure some of you have something to say about that last comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment