Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey Daze

I started off the morning planning on making it to the boat launch for the annual Thanksgiving Waway ride. However, I had wardrobe malfunctions of sorts and was missing two right winter gloves and I had done a nice job of inside-outing the liner in the one complete pair I could find. This took sometime to correct and a few tantrums were had in the process. After shoving a wooden spoon and working a screw driver into the fingers I finally was able to wear gloves without having to cut off a finger or two and get out the door. Because I was late I rode in the back of the park in hopes to run into a ride and decided whatever group I ran into I would ride with. I was still feeling the 6 hour race and was hoping to run into a nice group with a leisurely pace. After an hour I found life on Rockadendrum. Guess which group I ran into? Mike's group. Happy Thanksgiving. They stopped to regroup but it wasn't the leisurely pace my legs and I had hoped for. I hung in and it was still a good time.


So it has become a tradition of ours that we go to Boston Market on Thanksgiving and pick up a spread and bring it home. It's not for a lack of places to go. We do get invited to various Thanksgivings. We've just made the decision that if we are going to deal with any Turkey Day shenanigans and family craziness it will be our own. Plus, I think the last Thanksgiving I crashed was a vegan Thanksgiving and I'm still having nightmares about tofurkey and some sort of odd wild rice/tofu/seaweed side-dish concoction. Just thinking about it still gives me the chills.

It has also become tradition that while I am waiting to pick-up the food at one end of Boston Market Mike goes to the register and buys a brownie platter which he consumes on the ride home...



After picking up the food we decided to stash the food in the fridge and go back out and enjoy the day. My legs and hands wanted nothing to do with the bike again so I decided to trail run at Jungle while Mike worked off a few brownies on the bike. It was so beautiful out and Jungle is a great place to trail run.

Saturday was a Skyline Drive/Ringwood day and it hurt me. It's been a while since I've been in there. Technically I was fine. I had just forgotten how demanding the terrain is if you want to keep moving forward and not be off and walking. That was a beat down. I pulled over to throw up at one point while Gerry and Mike watched. Fun times. Not sure if I was cooked or sick from my pumpkin pie eating clinic that I had been running the last couple of days. I'm sure a little of both.

On Sunday, I pedaled for way too many hours. I started by myself in the morning and then part of my day was spent busting ass and criss- crossing the park to find George and Rossi. I got in a short ride with them. When I hit the road to spin home my legs and body gave me a big "F You". I could hardly turn a pedal. The wind kicked up around the lake at one point and I wanted to pull over and have Mike come get me. I could see my road. I just couldn't get there. I left my bike outside. Showered. Passed out on the couch. So much for my big day of running errands and doing things around the house. Definitely overdid it all week. Hoping my body doesn't punish me for the week. I have to take it easy this week and let my body rest or I could be in for a major flare-up. Tis the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment