Friday, May 4, 2012

Cabin In the Woods



The cabin we stayed in at Cohutta was advertised as being a luxury cabin. The company was also very proud of the fact that Floyd Landis had stayed there. We pulled up and we were horrified. I've stayed in some dumps in my time. This took the prize. It was a cabin of horrors (please read with a British accent because it makes it sound that much worse and it was that much worse). We opened the door and the smell of old, moldy, sweaty ass smacked us in the face. It was vile. I think the last time they washed the sheets was when Floyd Landis was there. We were all horrified. No wonder he had such a crappy performance. He had to stay here and listen to the neighborhood pit bull and cock fights all night as well as sleep in a cabin smelling of stale sweat and mildew.  Luckily, we were still slap happy from the travels and busted out laughing. It wasn't so funny when we got back from running errands and had to sleep the night before the race. I couldn't sleep. It was nightmarish. If you venture to Cohutta and someone tells you FL stayed there...DON'T. It would be better to sleep in your car or on the ground.

We actually burnt a pizza that night and smoked up the cabin and did the rental company a favor by making it smell better. The night after Cohutta it wasn't shocking that we all passed out in the filth.  I would have slept in the back of the truck in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot. I inadvertently woke Jane up at 4 am when I announced to Mike (we both wear ear plugs so it was more like screaming) that I finally had a normal and satisfying pee. If you've ever done an endurance race you know what I'm talking about. Jane congratulated me on the feat a few hours later. She said she wanted to bang on the wall and shout, "Well done, mate!" She should have. I would have appreciated the support.

I've been taking it easy this week and trying to be nice to my body. Friends have been texting and emailing me this week asking if I'm gonna do the Waway race this weekend. Hell no!!! I mean, I would love to. It's my back yard. A normal person needs plenty of recovery form the 100s (unless they're of mutant status). I need a little extra time on top of normal, so I'm trying to not do anything that's gonna set me back or make me sick. Easier said than done. It's a good sign that I'm actually planning rides in my head already. After Shen last year I had a hard time looking at my bike. I'm chomping at the bit to get back on my bike for a workout and I'm also craving a good, technical trail ride. All those fire roads made me long for some technical singletrack. Luckily, I know just the place(s).

1 comment: