Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Case of the Mondays

...and it happens to be Tuesday. I've been feeling like this for the past few days. Just blah. Not sure what it is. Usually there is some sort of excitement before I go to a race. Nothing. Well, I wouldn't say nothing. I'd call it apprehension this time. I haven't been feeling so hot and yes, I am concerned that I'm not going to be able to do it. Not sure if that's it. I don't know. I just think Cohutta sucked the life out of me. I blame the kitty litter climbs.

I should be looking forward to this one. Because it is in my home state, my dad, niece and nephew will go from aid station to aid station as a traveling cheering/jeering squad. Also, my brother and his friend are doing the 100k. Mohican, as awful as it looks on an elevation profile, is kind of like riding where we live. Hit after hit of short punchy climbs. Nothing too crazy and long, but the repetitive, steep nature can suck the legs. Maybe that's what I'm not looking forward to. I know how bad it's gonna hurt. I was nervous about it a week ago. Now nothing. Maybe that's a good thing.

I'm trying to be cool about not feeling well. This is different than pre-Cohutta. I have mouth sores the size of dimes and even one on the inside of my left eye lid which is completely annoying. The good news is that I've dropped a couple of pounds because the foods I can eat are quite limited. I guess there is a bright side.

Didn't quite get to do what I wanted to do over the weekend. I figured it's better to err on the side of caution than do too much and get worse. Since I wasn't riding that much I did take some time to clean my closets. I tried on everything and got rid of everything else. I'm mainly just sharing this so I can tell you the odd shape my body has taken. I'm lighter on the scale than last summer and I fit into very few pairs of shorts. The reason: the singlespeed. No scientific experiment has been done, but trust me, it's the ss. My ass and thighs have grown. Granted I have an extra layer of fat wrapped around them (I'm working on it) but they've changed. Shorts I used to live in now look odd on me. Loose around the waist and skin tight around the ass and thighs. In an effort to make me feel better, Mike told me I'm starting to look strong like a big gear pushing singlespeeder/track sprinter/farm hand. Something also was said about being able to set a soda can on my ass when I'm standing. I know he was trying to be sweet and to him it was a compliment, but the same wave of horror came over me that I felt in high school when a track coach told me I was built to throw shot put and I should give it a try. I'm of hardy stock, what can I say? I'm actually digging the skirts my mother (she has an affinity for Title Nine and Athleta) has sent me over the past year because I don't have to deal with the ass and thigh issue. Now I just have to deal with the issue of people giving me shit for being in a skirt.

4 comments:

  1. "singlespeeder/track sprinter/farm hand"

    What a romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm in for the 100, you have to be too. Even if we have to ride together the whole time cheering each other on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can pedal I will do it! See you there...

      Delete