Sunday, November 4, 2012

After

It's been an interesting week to say the least. We've had no power since Monday night and because we have a well that means no water. We are actually fortunate. The house is fine and we have a wood stove so we are warm. There are many who were not so lucky. Lots of people have no heat and there are a lot of houses that had major damage done. I can't even fathom the devastation done to the shore.

Common sight

We finally saw power trucks for the first time yesterday when we ventured out to get water. Rumor has it we'll have power by Friday.

Finally, power trucks have arrived

I'm one of the fortunate few who can work from home. With car chargers for the laptop and my phones, a wireless card and a vpn token I'm set. I didn't have to drive into work. I tried earlier in the week and sat for 45 minutes plus in traffic. It wasn't worth the gas, so I came home. The gas. Holy shit. People are sleeping in their cars in line at the gas stations waiting for deliveries. The lines are insane. There are only a handful of stations around here and relatively lots of people so it adds to the craziness. Lines of people with gas cans as well. If you don't have a lot gas, you can't really drive around looking for it.

These are stashed a few places around town for access
 Yesterday, I had my first real shower in 5 days at the West Milford High School. It was delightful. As fantastic as it was, it was also one of the creepier experiences I've had as of late. There were a bunch of women who had showered and were getting ready to leave as I got in the shower. I was then alone and and left with only a generator powered spot light in a creepy girls' locker room shower. All I could think about was that I was in some high school slasher flick.

So we're fine. I may die of boredom, but we're warm and have food. If I wasn't busted I would definitely have been out biking or hiking every day. My knee is angrier than ever and I still can't squat, sit, go up or down stairs without extreme pain. This dumbass also tweaked her wrist again carrying in water. Just when it was on the mend, too. It could be worse. We're alive and our house is still standing, so I'm not complaining.

Much like those who post about politics10 times a day, I have also blocked or unfriended on fb people who are complaining about not having internet access or cable yet. Seriously? Where are your priorities people? Get a fucking brain in your head. Some people lost everything and are living in shelters.

We're off to get water and shower again. Hopefully, I will not fall victim to an escaped mental patient with a butcher knife and a vendetta against high school girls...

No comments:

Post a Comment