Monday, December 12, 2011

There's Always a First Time

I would like to preface this post by saying that the holiday season makes me a crazy person. I don't like the holidays. I REALLY don't like the holidays. Add a full moon and you get, well, it's a recipe for a woman on the edge that's what it is. I'll just start with that.



Sums up the day at Blue


Saturday, Jim, Mike and I went to ride at Blue Mountain. Nothing crazy, just a leisurely paced, fun ride. Something snapped in me in the first 10 minutes. Nothing was going right. I was mad at my body, my finger was stuck to my GD glove, my suspension felt awful, I felt like I was dragging a sled, and the trails at Blue sucked. We got to a techy section that I remembered being able to ride and I freaked out. Grabbed my bike and attempted to launch it. I wanted to throw it into the creek. However, a branch caught the rear wheel and it only went about a foot. I couldn't even throw my bike right. I think that pissed me off even more. Jim and Mike watched, mouths gaping open in horror and disbelief. They had no words. I've had thoughts of throwing my bike before but I've never actually done it. I've kicked the wheel in protest after a crash, but this was the first official toss and I'm not proud of it.



Crispy Hoeferlin Trail


Sunday, I decided to isolate myself from the rest of the world and go out by myself, just in case that crazy person came back. Waway was a ghost town. Usually, I will see signs of life on certain trails. No one. I was the first to break through the frozen puddles. It was frozen and perfect. I felt like I had the park to myself.

Iron Mountain is not really much fun to climb after all the water damage

Everyone always asks about the elevation gain at Waway and they think there's not that much climbing. On paper, yes. However, when you are climbing over loose baby heads, root packs and up technical switch backs it makes it seem like a lot more climbing. It's full body climbing. None of the climbs are smooth and groomed.


The reward for not throwing my bike


No bike was harmed on Sunday. I guess I would call it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment