Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ike

I guess it's that time of year when you look back at the year that has passed and reflect. I'm not much into reflection. I would rather just get on with it. However, this was a bittersweet year and one I'll remember. I lost one of the best friends a girl could ever have.



I still find myself spontaneously crying at times. Only last week I threw out his stuffies. It wasn't an easy task. The man loved his toys. Ike's bed is still in the bedroom and I'm not sure when I'll have the heart to throw it out. Ike came to me when I first became sick and I was having a hard time dealing with the fact of living with a chronic disease for the rest of my life. I credit him with keeping me on track and for my not giving up. Even when I didn't think I could move and I felt horrible I always made sure he had his walks and always made sure he got his swims in. He was 24/7 therapy.


Even up until his very last day he knew when I was not feeling well and wouldn't leave my side. It's still really strange not having him around when I hurt and am sick. I've relied on his comfort for a long time. He kept me in line and made me laugh every day. For that I am grateful.


He went everywhere with me. Road trips, vacations, bike shops, coffee shops, parties, races, rides...I even used to sneak him into the lab at NYU at night so I didn't have to leave him at home alone. Rarely did I even drive to the store without taking him for a ride. I could take him anywhere. He's been more places than most people.

He was a dear friend and a big part of my life. I'm so happy I had such a great friend for almost 14 years. I only hope he enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed his.

1 comment: