Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Crazy Town

The kick-off



People have been asking me what my plans are for 2012. I've been a hesitant to tell them what's rolling around inside this crazy head of mine. I think they're expecting one of the following typical canned phrases from my mouth:

Probably won't race.
We'll see how I feel.
Let's see how the weather looks.
If I feel like riding, I'll ride.
Thinking about it.
If I feel like wearing lycra on said day I'll be there.


Well, for me I've set quite the lofty goal. Not sure what has gotten into me. After I (barely) finished Shen on gears I got the proverbial bug up my ass on the ride home from VA and have been working it out in my head ever since. I'm going to try and complete as many 100s on an SS as my body can handle in 2012. A lofty goal for a person who sometimes shows up and can't walk a mile, let alone race. And even loftier still since I've never finished a 100 on an SS. I think it will be fine. I have to finish at least four and my hope is to do 5. 500 miles is the goal. Anymore than that will be icing on the cake. It's more than likely that I'm going to have a few bad weekends when I won't be able to ride. I have to be somewhat realistic. I padded the schedule for when this happens. Here's the plan (padding included):

April 28th Cohutta (TN)


June 2nd Mohican (OH)


June 16th Lumberjack (MI)


July 28th Wilderness 101 (PA)


August 19th Hampshire 100 (NH)


September 2nd Shenandoah (VA)


September 8th Fool's Gold (GA)


I have to admit that doubt has already started to creep in as I was sick with a cold and then the typical flare-up due to the cold over the 3-day weekend. I couldn't do anything. When I say I do nothing. I really mean nothing. Not a word of a lie. Bathing, making tea and walking to the bathroom was the only activity I saw. How do you think I get addicted to all these tv shows? There's always a marathon of something on and by the third episode of 20 I'm hooked. I was a Mythbusters fan before, but after this weekend I really have issues. I'm really trying to stay positive that this forced rest was exactly what I needed.


My SS and I are heading to AZ at the end of the month. Hoping this will give me just the kick in the ass I need to get some momentum going. It's going to be a long year.


Crazy? Absolutely. I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

  1. I did the Cohutta, Mohican, and Wilderness last year (geared). I thought the Cohutta was the hardest and the Mohican the easiest. The biggest challenge with the Wilderness last year was the heat. If you get through the Cohutta you'll have no problems with the M & W.
    I'm doing the Mohican and the Hampshire 100 single speed this year. So excited! I've got a LONG way to go with training and a short time to do it.
    Good luck to you in your 2012 season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandie! Fingers crossed I'll see you out there :>)Good luck to you as well. If you ever want to ride in Northern NJ you know where to find me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't we all a bit crazy?! Love it! I hope to see you out there at one of them ( if I go through with my goal) of course I will be on gears!
    Happy New Year- let's ride soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SM-I knew you would understand :>). Yes. You will go through with your goal. C'mon!! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete