Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pay to Play

My weekend plans were made for me at cross practice this past week. This was my second time at cross practice, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a hot mess. The first time I couldn't stop giggling because it seemed really silly. During round two this week it was muddy and awesome. I really made an effort to work on my barrier skills (or lack thereof) and cornering on a cross bike in the mud. After a half dozen crashes later, I felt I was getting better. I then had around the seventh crash of the night. Not sure what happened. All I know is that my own tire seared through my shorts at my right inner thigh and also took off some skin and subsequent fat of my inner thigh. My wrist hurt but I didn't think much about it. Just figured I jammed the crap out of it and it would feel better in the morning. Well, the next morning it was all swollie and I couldn't move it in one direction or open and close my hand without pain. Then I knew I had an issue. Seeing how I've broken and/or sprained both wrists and hands at one time or another, I had some devices on hand. Saturday, I was in denial and attempted to ride with a wrist brace. It didn't go well. Don't think I didn't try to learn to dismount to the right and carry my bike with the left hand in hopes that I could still pull off Iron Cross. That was an interesting and frightening experiment that was not going to happen. I was going to end up with more injuries if I continued. There were also some other issues with braking and holding the handlebars. Details.


Maybe I secretly did it on purpose so I don't have to finish my wood stacking project:


It's not a big deal as far as injuries are concerned. It's just an annoyance that may keep me off the bike for a bit. I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and go see my hand and wrist guy this week. Let's just say I'm no stranger to wrist injuries. I've cut not one, but two of my last casts off myself. He knows that there will not be a cast unless it's absolutely, positively, the only way. Mike has been known to hide the wire cutters and anything else I could possibly use to hack a cast off. Not like I can't go to a hardware store and conduct my business in the parking lot. 

Today, I was pissy and mad I couldn't do IC so we went on a long hike and I tried to kill Mike. It's now being referred to as "Jocelyn's Hike of Death". Let's just say I feel like I accomplished something today.


In unrelated news, this was my last meal before I start the Whole30 tomorrow:
 

I know it's trendy with endurance athletes right now and I've heard some great and horrific things about it. That's not the main reason why I'm doing it. Some people have had great results and have lessened auto-immune symptoms. I'm doing it with two other people who have really active diseases right now. We're all curious to see what happens. I'll keep you posted. It should be interesting. Well, so long, I have to go get my veggies and meat products ready for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment