Saturday, August 13, 2011

Wildcat Epic Day One: Survival

I ended up actually taking the start today at the Wildcat Epic. Shocking, yes. Having some major mouth sore issues and my power is no where to be found. I think I'm at the end of it so I decided to just to hang on and survive today. I may be able to start tomorrow and I may not but there is a possibility that even after 50 miles I may feel better tomorrow.



There was quite a bit of climbing today. We climbed into Minnewaska. Absolutely beautiful. Amazing views. Trail not rutty. Not technical. Gravelly, groomed, double track multi-use trails. My worst nightmare. I had to sit and spin a lot. This is a lot of body to spin up hill. My legs really weren't happy with me. No cramping and I didn't crack. I usually crack on gears. I kept it conservative. I knew I wasn't all there and I knew that there is more fun to be had tomorrow. I started to get a little crazy on the opening climb when two girls passed me. I wanted to go with them. I actually made myself pull over and chill the hell out. I waited for my heart rate come down and then just plugged along. A few times I got a little over zealous on some flats and realized I was pulling a train at way too many MPHs. Not good. Just because I can doesn't mean I should. I had to behave.



The bike was awesome. I did run out of gears in the rear on one occasion. It is Mike's bike so of course there is a road cassette on the back. Otherwise, I can't wait to get on some single track with it tomorrow. It's supposed to rain. Even better. I'm usually pretty good in the mud.





Most people had around 52 miles on their computer today. I got lost twice. I did one climb twice because I loved it so much. 54 miles for me today. Now time for Ike and I to watch a movie and get ready for round 2...



No comments:

Post a Comment