Sunday, September 18, 2011

Afterthought

Woke up this morning and this was in our fridge...

Beer N Bacon

Mike's prize for the short track race on Saturday. I was supposed to do it but I wasn't feeling so hot. The sudden cool snap has not been kind to my body. I woke up this morning and felt a little better after coffee and a hot shower. I knew I needed a quality ride with some intensity today. I also knew that I was feeling tired and lazy from work and work-outs this week and if I went out by myself I would lolly gag and daydream. I decided to dust off my USA Cycling license and head for Round Top, NY for Riedlbauer's Round Top Rally. My SS had an acceptable, non-retardo gear on it (thank you very much) so I was ready to roll.



I had told myself that I needed to try and hang on as long as possible to the gearies. This was plan A. After I did a warm-up lap to look at the course I knew this was going to be a tall order. My legs and arms had a little fatigue working. I felt so lazy. Snap out of it. Plan B: Pedaling and forward motion and finish before everyone else has cleaned up and has had two beers.


The start wasn't horrible. They didn't start as fast as I expected. I thought I could possibly get in second to the singletrack if I wanted to put in the effort. Problem was that I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I did. Didn't have the legs to hold it and the initial singletrack was a little bony and I wasn't as fast/comfortable as everyone else on their full suspensions. I would work way too hard only to be passed 30 seconds later. Those girls knew the course and I knew being behind was the right place for me. I cruised through the first two laps without issues.

On the third lap, I crashed because I was avoiding ankle munch. I saw it coming and jerked the right to remove my ankle from a precarious situation and then I slammed my right leg into a rock and this threw me to the left and I smashed my hand into a tree. Let's just say my fork has it's first blem. I ended up finishing in not too bad of shape. Both body and time wise.



Before I left the house this morning and was contemplating going to NY I promised myself Mallowmars if I did it. So sad, right? The cash was nice but the Mallowmars on the way home was the major score of the day. Will work for Mallowmars.

If you've never been to Riedlbauer's, I highly recommend it. The course is awesome and the venue is beautiful. You can also get schnitzel and a spezial when you finish.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - YOU GO GIRL!! Oh, and by the way - have some Mallowmars for me.

    ReplyDelete