Monday, September 12, 2011

Solo

Not much to report. I guess that's a good thing. Happy to say that I have been back on the bike since Shen. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of last week it poured again and the flooding that started to recede was back. Gave me an excuse to not do anything. The three hour commutes to work because of road closures were all the excitement I could handle. Being lazy was justified.

Thursday, there was an unfamiliar sight in the sky and Mike and I decided to check out Waway to see what damage Irene had done. Surprisingly, it was in pretty good shape. There were some trees down and it was hard to get through at points. I may have even ripped the ass out of a pair of shorts trying to get over the tree in the picture. The areas that are normally wet after a rain were underwater (way under water) but that was to be expected. I rode the SS with a a gear too big for Waway. Or I should say a gear that makes Waway unfun. I know better. It wasn't pleasant and was a lot more work than what I had signed on for but I didn't feel as shitty as expected. It was a relief to be back on the ss. Saddle sores were healing. Hands were starting to feel normal. Lower back didn't feel like someone was stabbing me. All was right with the world.

Rock bridges were under water but at least they were intact. That's a lot deeper than it looks. No, thank you.


Saturday, I went out by my lonesome and just enjoyed the bike. I ended up doing the same on Sunday. Sunday, I just needed my brain to shut off. I needed the thoughts and memories to stop. I just wanted to get lost. I rode and rode. I rode until my racing thoughts quieted down and eventually, I could only hear my breath and the bike rolling on the trail. I haven't been able to lose myself in the bike like that in a long time.


I can now officially say that it is legal to ride a section of the Appalachian Trail. It has been rerouted down our rode because the flooding wiped out the bridge over Longhouse Creek/River. There's some interesting foot traffic to say the least.


Thinking about the Michaux-Terror of Teaberry race. Rumor has it it's the most technical one. That doesn't make me feel good after my last experience there. Probably should put in a little time at Skyline on my weapon of choice if I want to finish that one. We'll see...


I also registered for Iron Cross. Not sure what the hell I'm thinking. My CX bike has been untouched and in the shed since we moved here. Before that it acted as the winter bike and coat hanger in the apartment. I guess I should pull it out and see if it needs any work. That's on my list of to-dos this week. I could ride my XC bike but I would feel like a loser. I'd rather ride my POS CX bike and have my C spine jostled out of line and my teeth vibrated out of my head than look like a goober.



Sounds like a good time, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment