Thursday, September 1, 2011

Neighborhood Watch

It's always this time of the year when I start getting home from work later and later and the sun goes down earlier and earlier. Unless I get up at 5 am and wait for the sun to come up (it's been done, but I'd rather not) I have to get a workout in when the sun's going down. If you work normal hours and ride a bike you know what I'm talking about. Ride the trainer (Boo. Hiss.) or go out in the dark.



I haven't been doing very much lately so I needed to kinda wake up the lungs and legs last night and make sure all the shifty bits on the bike work before we venture to Shen. So I put on my headlamp, which barely allows me to see my computer let alone see the road, and did my loop around the house. We've been the neighborhood freaks since we moved in. Hiking, snow-shoeing, running, bikes, lycra, chopping wood and shoveling snow all in the name of exercise...it's a lot to take in for this crowd. Doing laps around the hood is mind numbing. Thankfully, I have my own cheering section to keep me motivated and entertained.



Our neighbor, George, is always outside and has become a regular part of my neighborhood workouts. I'm starting to think he looks forward to it. Last night was no exception. As I was warming up, I saw him outside settling into his chair with a beer to watch the show. 70s and 80s Rock is always blasting when he's outside. There may even be an old Trans-Am covered in the driveway. "What do we have going tonight?" he said. "Intervals to wake up the body," I yelled over Sebastian Bach belting out 18 & Life. "Cool," he shouts. So I started my said workout and every time I passed him he screamed at me one or more of the following:


"Pedal, Pedal, Pedal!"


"Don't be afraid of the gravel in the corner!"


"I was worried about you. Where've you been? You're getting slower!"


"I don't have all night."


On some laps he would be in his side yard with beer in hand to have a better vantage point up the hill and he would yell, "Get it girl. Don't quit on it!! I'm chasing you. I'M CHASING YOU!! HERE I COME!! RAAARRRRRR." At times I'm laughing so damn hard I can barely pedal.

After about 10 laps he asked how much longer I was going to be out there because he had things to do. I told him one last lap and then we were in cool down mode. In true George form he waited until I came back around and offered me a cold Gatorade or beer. Or both. I declined and pedaled down the street home and then turned around and went by George's again. Silence. No hair bands or CCR playing. He went inside. I knew he waited to make sure I was okay.


Off to Shen. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment