Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Shoes

What I really should be doing is using my time shopping for shoes to go with the bridesmaid dress that I've never tried on and will be trying on in a little over a week and incidentally, the day before the wedding. That fitting will be a hoot, I'm sure.  Instead, I'm focusing on shoes of the mountain biking variety.

If I've stopped you and asked you how you like your shoes or if I can try on your shoes, please forgive me, I have a shoe fetish.Well, not really. I don't want to wear your shoes nor do I fantasize about feet and shoes, I just have long, skinny pancake feet and finger toes that don't really fit into any shoe. I also have a few toes that have been broken on multiple occasions and that adds to the fun. Buying any kind of shoe is always a major adventure for me. People always say, "They can't be that bad. C'mon. Let me see." Then when I reveal the beasts I hear gasps of horror, snickers and usually, "Wow. You do have some strange dimensions going on there.Never seen anything like it." My poor niece was cursed with the same feet. I feel it's my duty to set her up now for a lifetime of frustration, heartache and ridicule.

Here are a few of my possibilities:

Relatively new and I'm not overwhelmed with the feedback I've gotten from a few local ladies. I need to try them on.
Boa systems scare me because I've cracked a few knobs against rocks/trees and the day didn't end well. I still like the way they feel when all is right. Even pressure across the foot is always a bonus. 

The old stand by.

I've also gone through a few pairs of Specialized shoes. I always have trouble with the buckles on those damn things. Plus, they are super stiff. That's a bonus and they're great on a geared bike and on the SS for shorter events. However, I foresee some walking in my future and I don't want to be crippled by my damn shoe.

I found a company in Italy that will custom make shoes for me. Not sure who is going to tell Mike that we will have to skip a mortgage payment to pay for them.

No one really carries a great selection of women's shoes so I usually have to order online, try them on and send them back. I've actually found that Zappos carries most cycling shoes and they are super speedy and easy to deal with. Let the games begin.

First World problems.  

1 comment:

  1. I wore Specialized shoes at Cohutta and I am pretty sure they are the primary cause for my DNF. I had to walk a lot and I got blisters on my heels. By the time I made it down Potato Patch I knew I couldn't walk any more and I also knew I wouldn't be able to make it back up without walking, so I was done.

    Which shoes did you end up using?

    ReplyDelete